Sunday, May 15, 2011

New research shows girls who wear coral lipstick become 63% more dazzling to the human (and animal) race

O.K. you got me you sneaky rascals, I made that statistic up but I swear it is TRUE Parlour and Looters, I swear it on my favourite gold mens-style Michael Kors watch, which means I’m really serious.
While I haven't ever hid the fact that I like to think of myself as Queen of the Coral Club, I can’t believe I haven’t dedicated a post to this topic until now.
Unlike a violent slash of red across the lips which can be A) tricky to apply B) messy if you plan on eating, drinking or kissing your boyf or C) ageing and 90s looking if you’re not careful, a coral lip WILL: brightening your complexion, awaken tired looking eyes and undoubtedly reassure onlookers of your pretty-come-understated feminine allure.
When it comes to joining the Bright Lip Brigade, coral would be the recommended shade for new members as it is soooo easy to wear (work to bar? cinch!) and it instantly updates your overall look.

M.A.C Tinted Lipglass in Pink Lemonade RRP: $35.00
My love affair with coral began when my dad (under my older sister’s leadership) brought me back M.A.C’s Tinted Lipglass in Pink Lemonade from Canada (Pink Lemonade is a flamingo pinkish shade with bright orange undertones). I was fifteen at the time and literally thought I was, “THE SHIT” pulling that baby out of my pocket at lunchtime in the canteen line. While I’ve moved on to more grownup coral-based prods like a matte lippy, this trusty gloss will always be a permanent fixture in my makeup box
Quick fact: M.A.C was founded in Toronto, Canada and therefore is stupidly cheap when bought in the land of maple syrup and ice hockey so stock up if you are ever there.
*Yes I have recently purchased a black and clear plastic makeup box with five slidey draws (is actually meant to function as office paper filing system) it’s working out really well so far, I feel all efficient and organised!
Soooo moving on, here are some coral lip prods I am currently hoarding like a bowerbird looking for sparkle.

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Melonade RRP: $21.95
Can you say sexpot? This bright mouth decorator is a pinky/orange hue that suits both blondes and brunettes and looks fabulous during the day with a little gloss or applied heavily at night. This is NOT a matte formula which makes it a favourite for me during winter when my pout needs some extra hydration. While having a pretty impressive shiney-finish for a lippy, it still delivers on colour – not quite opaque but half way between a gloss and highly pigment matte lippy.




NARS Limited Edition Lipstick in Love Devotion RRP: approx $60.00


Next to join the Coral Appreciation Society list is NARS’ ultra-sheer, creamy, guava coloured lipstick called Love Devotion. I cannot tell you how much I adore this little star of a product. Bought last year, it was a limited edition prod so I’m not 100% sure of its availability from MECCA (where I got mine) however I’m sure with some clever online scouring you could come up trumps. Perfect for those who are just a wee bit intimidated by the thought of slapping on a bright lip, this may be your most beloved soft coral friend  ever.

Like you needed a better reason to give orangey hues a go, it’s also BANG on trend this season - here’s one of the models being made-up backstage at the Yeojin Bae show at last week’s RAFW. Stunning right? They paired a bright lip with luminous cheeks and minimal mascara (skip your bottom lashes if you can bare it) for a gorgeous modelesque approach.









Budget babes try out these little winners:


Australis Colour Inject Mineral Lip Gloss in “Disco” RRP: $11.95


FACE OF AUSTRALIA Lip Quench Moisturising Lipstick SPF 30+
in “Coral Bay” RRP: $9.49


Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in “Coral in Gold” RRP: $9.95


Do you like a bold, coral lip?


Are you going to run out and buy something pinky-orange for your lips in time for the weekend?


I would... Just sayin'!


NOTE: The second image in this post of the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Melonade was nicked borrowed from the beautiful Sarah, author of Hip & Haute  http://hipnhaute.wordpress.com/ as my pics were coming up totally shithouse! XXX


2 comments:

  1. You can borrow anytime gorgeous. Thanks for crediting me :) xx P.S. I think I'm a pretty good contender for the Coral Club!? May I join? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. You madam would certainly be a candidate for co-presidency hehe! You look super “haute” in your Melonade My Day pics – thanks again for letting me borrow XX

    ReplyDelete